Monday, December 3, 2012

Sometimes, dogs need Xanax too

I am currently in the process of moving and the whole ordeal has been pretty rough on my dog Sampson.  The poor guy has developed anxiety and separation anxiety.  In an earlier blog post, I mentioned how he had been peeing on my bed.  Apparently that was an early form of his anxiety from moving!  

Although he hasn't peed on the bed since then, he has been piddling a lot and also, while he normally loves riding in the car, he has been absolutely freaking out!  In fact, he has been just freaking out in general.  The other day, he was carrying his bone in his mouth and just walking in circles whining!  Finally I decided to call his vet and find out what I can do to make it easier on him.  

What he suggested was basically a puppy form of Xanax- a sedative, anti-anxiety medication that will virtually knock him on his butt and make him "happy."  Sampson is only going to be taking this medication for ten days max because we want this to aid him, not have him rely on it.

Sampson relaxing after his puppy "Xanax."



Any pet owner who is experiencing problems with their dog ranging from motion sickness to G.I. problems, will find the website http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm useful.  This website lays out what over the counter, human medicines are or are not safe for dogs and their recommended dosages.  It is extremely useful and I urge you to check it out.

#MyDogNeedsToGoToTheSpa


4 comments:

  1. I think once you have finally settled in your new place, Samson will be okay! It's really cute that he misses you so much. I hope he starts to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh, poor guy! I'm glad you figured out what was wrong though. Hopefully he'll do a little better through the rest of the transition. And I agree with Kara, I'm sure he'll do better once you're all settled in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! He is already doing better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Sampson!!! I'm so sorry to hear this...but so glad that you know Sampson well enough and care to understand and know when somethings not right. He is very lucky and fortunate to have such a great owner. Glad you could get things figured out so that you may both enjoy your new place together :)

    ReplyDelete