Friday, November 30, 2012

"I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues"

As a nanny, one of the problems I run into is finding a family friendly movie with a positive message.  Today, so many movies lack the same principals and quality of those from when I was growing up such as The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast or Snow White.  I feel that even though movies are dubbed "children's movies" there are so many that basically rot their brain.

I like to show movies to the kids I nanny for that teach them something and leave them excited about what they just watched.  One movie in particular I recommend for ANY age group is the movie The Lorax.

Based off of Dr.Seuss's book, the movie teaches children about air quality, ecological protection and awareness and greed.  Through multiple songs in the movie, children are left singing about these issues and are excited to practice the main theme of the movie: protect and growth of trees.

The character the Lorax, is known for saying, "I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues."  Through the movie, the children learn about why we need tress as well as letting them grow.  The kids I nanny for love the song, "Let it Grow," which promotes tree growth.

All in all, if you are looking for a good, family friendly, educational, fun movie for anyone under the age of 12, watch The Lorax.





4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I think it's good for children to be watching more education movies and TV shows. It's unfortunate the things kids can see and watch on TV today if parents aren't careful and give them proper supervision. I've never seen The Lorax, but anything from Dr. Seuss is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! The things in movies and tv are bad for kids, some are great, but most bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel like some kids movies are not as great as they used to be. Even movies for teenagers have a theme of stupidity. It's great that you encourage your kids to watch movies that actually teach them something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that you want to instil positive thoughts and ideas in the children you nanny for. As a dance teacher I try to do the same for my students. For example picking music that has a meaning or a lesson to learn from. I have a 3.5 yr old niece and I will keep some of this in mind for her. Way to be a positive role model Cate :)

    ReplyDelete